Sunday, December 14, 2008

THE MORE THE MERRIER!

Welcome to The More The Merrier Virtual Cookie Swap.

First off, I want to send thanks out to those of you who signed up, and also to all of you who posted the cookie swap icon on your blogs. Secondly, thank you to my son, David, for getting the Peppermint Twist music up and running for me, so please take a moment to enjoy an oldie, but goodie.

Here are your Christmas Cookie (or candy) Swappers:

Miss Punkie Pie
Cranberry Almond Chocolate Bark
Chocolate Covered Oreos
Caramel Peanut Clusters Drizzled with Chocolate
Chocolate Pecan Buttercrunch
Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Krispy Balls
Chocolate Peppermint Fudge
Chocolate Walnut Fudge
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Layered Fudge
Homemade Hot Cocoa Cones

Kritta22

Dandelion Quilts
Pecan Pie Bars
Kid's Favorite Jumbo 3 Chip cookies
Candy Bar Jumbles

Here are my two favorite cookie recipe books. The first one is called Rose's Christmas Cookies. I've had this book for several years and always refer to it. My favorite recipe from this book is Chocolate-Dipped Melting Moments. They really do melt in your mouth. I think the secret is all the cornstarch that is used. I have made this one so many times that the page falls out of the book every time I open it. Everyone loves this cookie!

Chocolate-Dipped Melting Moments
Batter
1-3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour (dip and sweep method)
1 Cup Cornstarch
1/8 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar (lightly spooned into cup)
1 Cup Unsalted Butter (room temp)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Topping
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
6 Ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate (I use chocolate chips)

Whisk together flour, cornstarch and salt. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla. On low speed, beat in the flour mixture until incorporated. Chill dough for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Take small amounts of dough and roll into a crescent shape or use a small ice cream scoop and form small balls (whatever shape you prefer). Place on parchment lined baking sheet about 1-1/2" apart. Bake 10-15 minutes or until they just begin to brown around bottom edge. Allow to cool on sheet for a few minutes. Transfer to powdered sugar and roll. These cookies are VERY FRAGILE, so be gentle. Melt chocolate and dip one end. Place on waxed paper to set. ENJOY!

I have some of this batter already made up and need to get into the oven - hope to have a photo of them later.

One of my other favorite cookie books is Betty Crocker's Cooky Book, and this is because I grew up making cookies out of this book. It has memories in it. My favorite cookie recipe from it is called Vienese Shortbread. It is a sandwich cookie that shaped from a cookie press and has a mocha filling.

Vienese Shortbread
Batter
1 Cup Unsalted Butter (room temp)
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 Cups Flour (dip and sweep method)
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Whisk together flour and baking powder. In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Mix in vanilla. On low speed, add flour mixture. Press cookies onto parchment lined baking sheet using a cookie press (sometimes I use a pastry bag with a star tip - use whatever works for you). Bake approximately 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned around bottom edges (don't over bake). Transfer to wire rack and cool.

Filling (I double this)
2/3 Cup Powdered Sugar
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (room temp)
1 Teaspoon Powdered Instant Coffee (dissolved in 1 teaspoon boiling water)

Mix until fluffy. Spread on a small amount onto a cookie and sandwich together with another cookie (flat sides together). You could also fill with melted chocolate or your favorite jam (just make sure it's seedless). These taste even better the next day.

And the winner of this fabulous prize is Dandelion Quilts! Congratulations!

S.W.A.K.
TOMORROW IS THE LAST DAY TO ENTER!
BOP SHOO-OP, A BOP BOP SHOO-OP!

4 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, those recipes look great! Congrats to Ms. Dandelion! I've tried to use my cookie press, but I'm doing something wrong. I can't get the press to "let go" of the cookies as I "press" each one out. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong!

Kritta22 said...

OH dang I forgot to link to you! I'm going to go post about it right now!! Sorry about that!!
Congrats to Dandelion!

Mel said...

Nummy, nummy stuff!!

Cheryl said...

How in the world did I miss this!?? Your blog is so cute and wonderful. So glad I found it thanks to Kris at Dandelion Quilts!