Monday, April 6, 2015

CROCHET FLOWER BASKET

Frannie's Easter Basket
(That's our dog, Ollie.  He is a nosy neighbor!)

Frannie is not really into candy.
I filled it with some American Girl accessories.
The flowers and leaves were all crocheted.
I came across the patterns on Pinterest.
LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!
You can find them here and here.

I used different weights of cotton.
Flowers:  Tahki Cotton Classic, Paton's Grace, Aunt Lydia's #3
Leaves:  Reynolds Saucy 

The flowers and leaves were pinned to a base of styrofoam and foam rubber which I covered in cotton batting.

Then I wrapped some 100+ year old lace trim around the side.  This lace was from one of the garments in the trousseau of Aunt Grace's mother.  (I have spoken of Aunt Grace before.  She was my husband's aunt through marriage and we had lived next door to her for 35 years.  We loved to have tea and talk about needlework together).  This lace came from Italy, probably about 1910.  It was given to me several years ago and I thought it would be nice to use instead of keeping it rolled up in a drawer.  I did not cut into the lace (a very long piece), just wrapped it around and around and secured it with a sequin pin.
 
I added some black and white piping under the base to finish it off.  I love how a little touch of black accentuates all of the other colors.


When Frannie is finished using this as an Easter basket, I am going to call it mine, and use it to hold my knitting/crochet works in progress.  The top part reminds me of a cake, but in reality it can be used as a pincushion, the largest one I think I have ever seen.

S.W.A.K.

CUTEKATYDOLLS - YouTube!

2 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Gorgeous Marsha! Lovely, lovely Easter basket for Frannie. :)

Thimbleanna said...

Boy, you are on a roll Ms. Cute Stuff. And this is VERY Cute Stuff indeed. Beautiful!!!