Saturday, September 13, 2008

THE BIG APPLE

WOW! The apple growers must have had a really great crop this year! You know I'm just kidding :), but as I was browsing the clearance aisle at Marshall's, this apple cried out to me and begged me to take it home, so I did. It was pretty "bruised" and the entire apple was painted red, even the stem and leaf. After a fresh coat of spray paint, and giving the leaf and stem some color of their own, I think it looks good enough to eat! Next to it sits an actual "Paula Red" apple. I wanted you to see the scale. This variety is okay, but it's a little soft. My very favorite is a "Macoun". It's like a Macintosh in terms of crispness, but it's a little sweeter, and they're around only for a short while. Can't wait to find some in the store! Love to eat them raw, topped with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese, or baked in the oven with a little butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg under a pastry crust - YUM! This apple is going outside for the season, amongst the chrysthanemums and pumpkins. Can't wait to see it all put together!

So, "how do you like them apples"?

S.W.A.K.

ONLY 17 MORE GUESSING DAYS

2 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

What a great looking apple. Stuff like that - "bruised" decorations, I just pass on by because I just can't think "I can make it look so much better". You have an eye for these things. Love it!

Jen :)

Red Geranium Cottage said...

OMG that is one HUGE apple. Love it!! It's so red and shiny!