Friday, September 19, 2008

MORE CUTE STUFF

Tomorrow is Frannie's best friend's birthday, so I thought I would show the card I made for her last year. I got my inspiration for this card and also for the happy birthday banner I created from doll dress patterns. I have quite an assortment of those.



Here's how you can do it too: Choose a pattern than you like and take out the instruction sheet that has the drawing of the patterns on it.



Now you need to enlarge the drawing (I make mine the size to fit on an 8-1/2 x 11 paper). I copy it onto card stock (make 2-3 copies) and cut one of the copies out around the entire outline (this becomes my whole pattern piece).



The other copies are used for cutting out the extra pieces. For example, for the birthday dress above, I cut out two cuff pieces for the sleeves and two collar pieces.



Next, I trace the whole pattern piece onto a 4 ply paper (heavy weight, but still able to cut it out with scissors).



Now use the same pattern and cut one out of decorative paper. Glue this piece down to the 4 ply paper (I use spray adhesive), making sure you get out all the air bubbles.



Cover with a sheet of waxed paper and lay underneath a pile of books or magazines for a couple of hours to make sure it's dry and will lay flat.



After it's dry, decorate with other decorative papers to make the cuffs and collars. Try using glitter, small buttons, ribbons, paper flowers, whatever you like.



I even used gathered crepe paper streamer to create the skirt of the bathing suit.



Glittered letters were used to spell out the name and a number for the age.



I also attached a small cardboard easel back so it could stand up.



The sentiment was written on the back.



Did I totally confuse you?



:)



Would you like to see step by step photos?

Next up: Step by step instructions (with photos) on how to get started with bead knitting. I have just begun the orange bead-knitted giveaway purse and I want to show you how it's done.

S.W.A.K.

11 GUESSING DAYS LEFT!

4 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

How adorable Marsha! You make the best banners!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

OMG those are sooo cute Marsha. I want YOU to come to MY birthday party. LOL You are very talented.

debbie said...

Those are SO adorable!!!
I will be sure to let you know when my bday is! ;o)

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Incredible! I just LOVE this idea. Thank you for the step by step instructions and pictures. Question - what is 4 ply paper??? Never heard of it. I would love to create a banner for my daughter's next birthday. That's just great.

Jen :)