Saturday, September 27, 2008

OFF MY ROCKER...

...just long enough to take a few pictures of it, anyway. Found this ladies' rocker at a tag sale one day - outside under a covered porch, full of dust and cobwebs. It had been painted leaf green at one time (not sure what the original color was), but now it was all chipped and grimy. The cane seat was damaged as well as painted. I looked her over and checked to make sure the joints were all secure. She was so petite and demure that I just had to have her. The next thing I know she was in my car on her way home.

First order of business, a nice bubble bath. Now all she needed was a fresh coat of paint and a new seat. I thought this teal blue was just her color with a delicate little frill painted across the top and back (she has to look good coming and going, you know).

Of course, every ladies' rocker needs a skirt. I found the perfect fabric with some blue tassel fringe to match. Don't you just love that long ruffle and those ties? So feminine!

One outfit won't do! How about something casual? So I outfitted her with a new seat. I traced out a shape and Frank cut one out of plywood, probably about 3/4" thick (so screws could be set in from underneath without poking through the cushion). Then I applied a layer of foam rubber, batting, and fabric. Frank secured it to the chair and she was ready to rock the night away. I just love this fabric. I've used it to make some dining room valances. I still have some left that I've been saving. Hmmm... maybe I should use some to make a pretty apron. Now that's an idea!

Here she is proudly holding a few of her friends. A vintage three tier dish, also rescued from a tag sale, as well as a vintage hand-embroidered table topper, a gift from my sister.

Close-Up Of Embroidery

S.W.A.K.

ONLY 4 GUESSING DAYS LEFT!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Your creativity is very inspiring! :) I have two girls ~ one is in pre-K and the other is two. They would LOVE to have a clothes post like yours so I think I will add that to my list of winter projects! :) Thanks for stopping by my website (www.treasuredthreadsonline.com) and leaving a comment. And a HUGE thanks for inviting me to yours! :)

Shannon

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Great chair. Good job on restoring her!!!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Love it. Great looking rocking chair.

Jen :)

Lorraine said...

Great find - and nicely decorated....she looks like she has always lived at your house!

Anonymous said...

I love these chairs - the patterns are so intricate. There is certainly a lot of work, sweat and tears in them I'l bet.

Regena@QuiltnQuiltthings said...

I wanted to stop by you have a fun blog. Thanks for checking out my blog and entering my give away. be sure to look on 9-30 to see who won.
Thanks
Regena
I think the custome will be Belle

Thimbleanna said...

Very sweet Marsha! I love those petite old chairs!